About two years ago we decided to plant a row of grapes along the border of the front yard, as much to define the boundaries of our home as to create "edible landscape." Last year, the birds ate all the grapes before they could mature. This winter and spring (yes, it took a while) we put in posts to string wire for the grapevines to cling to and also to hold up bird netting. I was a little late pruning the new growth in March, and a little late in training the vines, so it's a little wild-looking, but about 8 weeks ago we could see tiny clusters of fruit, and we draped the bird net over the whole row. We checked on the progress of our little vineyard from time to time, picked a bunch a couple weeks ago, but they were hard and sour and small. I figured maybe it takes more mature vines to produce good fruit, and maybe patience would pay off next year.
This morning I went out to pick figs, and went over to the row of grapes, just to see if any of the grapes had grown or sweetened. Sure enough, there were bigger clusters of bigger fruit, looking a little bit shiny in their coppery skins. I plucked a few and popped the warm globes in my mouth, and, Surprise! They were sweet and tender and full of good flavor!
There were enough to fill two big bowls, and there are still more on the vines, hiding in the shade, getting bigger and sweeter, just waiting until we have eaten these, or dried them into plump juicy raisins, or given them to our friends and neighbors.
How I wish we could just trot across a field to your houses and bring some to you!
I wish I could eat some of those right now! they look so amazing! in my dream home, I won't ever have to go to the store for fresh fruits and vegetables because they will all be in my yard.
ReplyDeleteHey! I made a comment here too! Anyway, the grapes are looking good Mom! I have always loved having the edible yard that you and Dad have been so awesome at keeping. (I'm going to have that goal too now! :))
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteYum Mom! They look amazing! Reminds me of the old house... 1395 West 900 South House. The whole fence between our yard and the vacant lot was always overflowing with those grapes. Melissa & I would use them to play 'survival' in the back yard. I wanna be just like you when I grow up!
ReplyDelete