Wednesday, July 21, 2010

mission papers submitted.

I was incredibly nervous for my interview with the Stake President last night. this was the last step. the last thing I can do before a white envelope with a destination inside arrives in my mailbox. I had been worried about the interview all weekend. President Harrison called me on Thursday just the moment I was boarding the plane to Salt Lake City. it seems like all the times I am losing sight of my mission, the Lord is quick to remind me (namely, I was thinking a lot about Ariel and Steve's wedding, along with my own dating woes and victories, when there in my gate was a sister returning home from her mission in D.C. and then just a few minutes later, the Stake President himself called me). President Harrison is a very interesting man and reveals somewhat of the culture of the church here in D.C. he married Bill Marriott's daughter--and essentially all the leadership in my stake is in the hands of rich, powerful employees of Marriott International--yeah like the hotels. when he called me, he was very adamant that everything on my medical papers be filled out. well, this made me nervous. and the whole weekend I was nervous. like sick to my stomach nervous.

when I arrived at his mansion in Bethesda, MD last night, I was still nervous. but his wife opened up the huge doors to reveal a palace of a home (with glass ceilings!) and as soon as I sat down and President Harrison asked me to say the prayer, the Lord's spirit was there. earlier that day, a friend wrote me the sweetest e-mail, explaining that there was no need to nervous for the interview. I didn't have anything to prove, and if Heavenly Father thought I was ready to serve a mission, then I was. I think I kept approaching these interviews like job interviews--that I had to prove myself, or convince the stake president that I was going to be a good missionary. this was not the case. I prayed for the communication my friend promised me would be there---that the spirit would allow President Harrison to feel the desires of my heart, and that I would be able to express my testimony and hopes to serve a mission. when I got done saying the prayer, he looked at me and said, "Have you already served a mission?" of course, that boosted my confidence.

the rest of the interview went really well. President Harrison was the mission president of the Belgium Brussells mission a few years back and has a lot of experience with missionaries. needless to say he was very thorough and extremely loving. we talked a lot about our family, India (he had even been to Chennai with Rising Star!), and about body image. I've never had a serious problem with body dismorphia or an eating disorder, but he was wise to advise me that when you're constantly thinking about your body or hair or food or clothes, you can't focus on the investigator or the spirit. he told a story that one of his missionaries was so obsessed that he was losing his hair that he could no longer focus on serving the Lord. I think this was really good advice that I will surely remember.

I am so blessed and so happy. I don't think I've ever been happier. really, I feel so positive about the direction my life is taking and know that Heavenly Father has blessed me. He is quick to remind me of my purpose, and my inadequacies so I can come to the Savior and serve Him better. thank you all for your prayers. I am praying for you too!

and...I should be getting my call in the next few weeks. should we do some sort of conference call when it comes? I'm trying to be patient and realizing it may not come until I'm home in Utah. and that will be just fine. love you all.

2 comments:

  1. hey amers! I'm so excited for you! you are going to be an amazing missionary!

    Where is your mission call getting sent to? D.C.? if you get it while you're there, we should defitely do some sort of conference call....Is there conference skype? Either way, you should have someone video tape you opening it so we can all see your reaction.. that is the best part! (besides from actual call).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ame...I think Kate has a good idea. I am so excited for you too. It is really a wonderful experience. There is nothing else quite like it.

    ReplyDelete