Wednesday, July 21, 2010

How a mission call is made

I'm so excited about Amy's mission, and a little wistful too. It seems like her 21 years as our "baby" went by way too fast. Now she's really heading out in a new way, pretty much beyond our reach. Distance on the globe is one thing: not being able to talk to her more than every 6 months is another degree of separation entirely.
Nevertheless, she will be in the best possible hands, better than mine. So I cannot begrudge the transfer of responsibility.
I was talking to Melissa about having a family pool or guessing where Amy will be sent, a little concerned not to trivialize the sacred process of the call. Melissa reminded me of the General conference talk on the subject, and I read it for the first time a few minutes ago. I thought everyone might enjoy reading it, because the process is actually a little different than I imagined. Some of you have probably already read the talk, but here's the link.
http://www.lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5232,23-1-1207-18,00.html
or if that doesn't work, go to lds.org the General Conference April 2010 "The Divine Call of a Missionary"






Jim, I think you'll enjoy this better than my garbles explanation when we've talked before about how its decided where a missionary is assigned. This explains it straightforwardly and succinctly. I was really glad to learn how it's done, with the medical and other taken into account, along with the spiritual factor.






No comments:

Post a Comment